No need to choose just one birthstone if you’re an August babe. You’ve got options and colors - peridot and spinel! Learn a little bit more about August’s birthstones and some of our favorite AR jewelry pieces.
Precious Facts about Peridot:
- found in the Earth’s upper mantle
- the presence of iron changes the depth of the stone’s color
- Egyptians called peridot the “gem of the sun” + believed it protected them from “terrors of the night”
- thought to bring good fortune + peace to those that wear it
- measures a 6.5 - 7 on the Moh’s Scale of Hardness
- one of the few gemstones to be found in a singular color
Striking Facts about Spinel:
- available in a variety of colors including pink, red, purple, blue and violet
- we mainly source our spinels from Sri Lanka
- measures an 8 on the Moh’s Scale of Hardness
- blue spinels get their color from traces of iron, while red + pink spinels get their color from traces of chromium
- named an official birthstone of August in 2016 by the American Gem Trade Association
- spinel can be found in the British Crown Jewels
How to Care For Your Peridot + Spinel
Keep your peridot and spinel fine jewelry pieces in tip top shape with proper storage and regular cleanings. When it comes to storage, keep the stones separate from your other pieces to avoid scratching. Our jewelry box and travel clutch are the perfect accessories for any jewelry owner.
Cleaning Your Stones
Our jewelry cleaning kit is perfect to care for both peridot and spinel. If you don’t have the kit, you can use a warm water and soap mixture with a soft brush to gently scrub the stone. Please note both stones should never be subjected to ultrasonic or steam cleanings.
Shop Your Birthstone With Us
Here’s a few of our fave handcrafted peridot and spinel pieces to celebrate your August babe!