Meet the birthstone for July, Ruby. These precious gemstones add the perfect vibrant pop of color to any look. Learn a little bit more about rubies and their history, and shop some of our favorite pieces.
Radiant Facts about Rubies:
- “ruby” comes from the Latin word “ruber” which means red
- they are believed to symbolize passion and wealth
- Burmese soldiers would put rubies under their skin to keep them safe in battle
- rubies are one of the four precious gemstones
- made of corundum + the presence of chromium gives the stone its red color. sapphires are also made up of corundum, making rubies and sapphires basically siblings
- rubies must meet a certain color saturation level to be classified as a ruby and not a pink sapphire
- 9 on the Moh’s Hardness Scale
- we typically source our rubies from Madagascar, Sri Lanka + Tanzania
How to Care For Your Ruby:
Keep your ruby fine jewelry pieces in tip top shape with proper storage and regular cleanings. When it comes to storage, keep the stones separate from your other pieces to avoid scratching. Our jewelry box and travel clutch are the perfect accessories for any jewelry owner.
Cleaning Your Rubies
When it comes to cleaning your rubies we recommend our jewelry cleaning kit, or using a warm soapy water mixture with a soft toothbrush to gently scrub away dirt and grime.
Shop Your Birthstone With Us
Here’s a few of our fave handcrafted ruby pieces to celebrate your July babe!